Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thoughts on Co-Sleeping.......

I've heard many new moms and dads talk about the wonders of co-sleeping - you know having new baby in bed with mom and dad. I've been asked about my opinion on this and as many of you already know this is NOT an option for my children. Aside from the medical facts: More SIDS deaths occur when baby is in bed with the parents -- My husband is what can be called an active sleeper.

I've grown accustomed to sleeping on the far opposite side of the bed from him, with one eye open, but I cannot and will not put my child in that same danger. Early on in our marriage I woke up in the middle of the night to see Will rolled up on his elbow with his fist over my face. After wrestling his arm away and screaming furiously at him, he reassured me that he was attempting to protect me from the mugger who was attacking us on the vicious streets of Chicago. Forgive me for not feeling very protected! He's also tried to reclaim his wallet from between the couch cushions (aka my pregnant abdomen), kneed me in the back while playing sleep soccer, woken up in the dog's bed for no apparent reason. This is aside from the numerous conversations he has tried to have with me while soundly asleep.

So, if I want to get any sleep after our son is born he must be safely in a separate bed from mom and dad. The convenience and bonding experience of him in bed with us would be entirely lost because I would never be able to get any sound sleep trying to use my body as a shield between him and his father - the active sleeper.

I must add this disclaimer: I am fully confident in my husband's ability to be a wonderful and loving father who puts his son first in everything he does - I just don't think it can happen while he's sleeping!

6 comments:

eleventhirtysix images said...

I love crazy-sleepy-Will-stories!!!

And we know he'll be a great dad, despite the moonlight insanity.

Anonymous said...

My own dad was a crazy dreamer/sleeper like this. My mom once woke up to a raised fist as well. I have no doubt Will is going to be a great dad...but maybe you should invest in one of those co-sleeper side-car style beds if you want the baby near at night! :)

Anonymous said...

By the way...TAG! YOU'RE IT! (No obligation, just fun if you are so inclined!)

http://theparkerpack.blogspot.com/2008/03/tag-youre-it.html

Brooklyn said...

OK - this post made me laugh! Will yo uare crazy - Brooke, I feel for you - Charlie does the same thing. I woke up a couple nights ago - he was saving me from our ceiling fan! There was no co-sleeping in our house either!

Gloria Furman said...

This was one of me and David's first fights as a married couple. "Why do you keep kicking me?" Well, move over. "You've crossed over to my side." We're one, it's OUR side." And on and on.

Amy said...

I agree. All my babies slept best when I wasn't waking them up with my snoring.